Yellow-white-yellow, White-yellow-white, or Yellow-white-white?

Everyday I drive on this certain highway to get to school. There are 2 northbound lanes and 2 southbound lanes, divided by a grassy median. For the past few weeks, the paving company has been in the process of re-paving some of it. Needless to say, morning traffic+paving=pain-in-the-derriere. Anywho, last week they painted the stripes on. Of course, those gorgeous little diatoms make the new paint stand out like a neon sign, so I noticed them. Now, what the heck is there to notice about road stripes? This leads to the blogs title.

As I was driving along with the new stripes screaming at me, I started to laugh. The painter truck had messed up the lines!!! The line along the median was yellow, the stripes between the lanes were white, and the line along the "shoulder" (we don't have actual shoulders here) was white as well! Now, think about that... that is some more-than-slightly skewed symmetry. And skewed symmetry really bothers me. So I keep driving as I smile and shake my head...

Then *climax* I hit the old pavement. Guess what? The lines there are yellow-white-white as well!!! What the heck??? What kind of sense does that make?!? Now I can't drive without being distracted by the dis-symmetry! So if anyone has a logical explanation, please share!! :)

This is a picture I found of a Virginia highway.
It's not the same one I was referring to,
but it still has those darn yellow-white-white lines!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

2 Response to "Yellow-white-yellow, White-yellow-white, or Yellow-white-white?"

  1. Bryanna says:
    November 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM

    Wow I can't find anything on it. Haha but that could just be from the fact that I can't find anything on the internet these day's!

  2. ~Crystal says:
    November 26, 2008 at 11:38 PM

    Ah dang oh well!

Post a Comment